Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Auburn Hutton: A LARC Success Story




Auburn Hutton is a general assignment reporter for KNBN in Rapid City, South Dakota. She graduated from LARC and was immediately hired at The Political Channel based in Los Angeles. Working at KNBN, though, is her dream come true.

LARC: What stands out the most about your LARC experience?

Auburn: I would say the thing that stands out the most was the in-the-field work. Actually going out on stories, you know, murders and robberies, that helped the most. They were stories that mattered. Also, talking to prominent people, politicians, leaders, people that are known nationwide - you don't get that opportunity at other programs.

LARC: Talk about your journey to getting a job.

Auburn: I would definitely say never give up is the best advice I can give anyone. There were times where I was so close to giving up, I just stopped sending out tapes and thought about exploring other educational opportunities. But when I least expected it I got the job. Now that I'm here, I can't imagine doing any other job. It really is my dream job. I pinch myself everyday.

LARC: Talk about the momement you found out you got the job?

Auburn: I was probably overly exicted. It was like the best feeling ever. All of that year and a half of sending out tapes, it finally payed off. It was good feeling to know someone recognizes you have potential. There's nothing better, really.

LARC: What advice would you give up and coming reporters.

Auburn: My best advice, suck it up in the beginning. Go to a small town that might seem horrible to you. Sacrifice the things that you think are important to you because you aren't going to be there forever. Yeah, it's going to be hard, you're going to be away from your family, you're not gonna have the things you had in your town. But just suck it up. There's so much to learn.