Monday, May 15, 2006

A LARC Success Story: Keisha Burns



Keisha Burns hired as the new Weekend Anchor at KGWN in Cheyenne, Wyoming one week and two days after mailing her LARC resume tape. You can see her resume tape that got her the interview by going to the LARC website - www.larcinc.org - and clicking the "Watch LARC Demo Tapes" tab.

LARC: Keisha, describe the moment the news director offered you the Weekend Anchor job?

Keisha: Oh, I was very excited. I was just so happy it happened. This is my passion. There was a time when I felt like I should give up, but I went for it and here I am. I'm just so happy.

LARC: Talk about your LARC experience and how it helped you?

Keisha: LARC basically gave me first hand experience. I learned the importance of approaching people and making the stories about people. LARC really gave me a lot of confidence on how to approach a story and how to put the package together. The writing seminar at LARC was so helpful. In the interview, I had to write a package in the field with the reporter at the station. I was able to get it done quickly because what I learned in the LARC writing class. The story actually was used on air, too.

LARC: What's the best advice you can give to people trying to break into the news business?

Keisha: Never give up! If journalism is your passion you have to go for it. There was a time when I felt like I should give up because the field is so competitive and that I would never get a job. I was wrong. Working as a reporter for LARC made me truly realize this is something that I love and I'm glad that I went for it. I get to continue on in something that I just love to do.