Monday, January 22, 2007

A LARC Success Story - Megan Trevizian

Megan is the newest weekend anchor at KCSG in St. George, Utah. She is a graduate of St. Andrews University in Great Britain. One of her classmates happened to be Prince William, the son of Charles and Diana, and heir to the British throne. While at LARC, Megan covered a rape attempt, a wildfire and the LA Auto show.

LARC: Why did you choose LARC to help you with your resume tape?

Megan:
I checked out some resume tapes from previous Larc graduates and was very impressed. The stories caught my eye and were very professional. I also liked the idea that Larc students covered real-life stories.

LARC: You were hired as an anchor less than a month after finishing LARC. Did you expect it to happen that fast?

Megan:
Not at all! I started hearing back from news directors only a week after I sent out my first round of tapes. I'd heard stories of some people waiting up to a year before getting any feedback, so it came as a huge surprise when the calls came in.

LARC: Talk about your reaction when you were told you got the job?

Megan: It was great when I heard the news! I was offered the job at the end of a two day interview. I had already met the news director and spent time in the newsroom...and I really liked what I saw. When they offered me the job I knew it was the right choice.

LARC: How important was the LARC writing training for you?

Megan: Jay simplified the package-writing process into a concise, effective format. Now and the idea of writing under deadline is a lot less daunting and something I feel confident about. I had to do a package as part of my job interview, and I the skills I learned at Larc prepared me for it.

LARC: What advice would you give to up and coming news reporters trying to break into the business?

Megan:
Be willing to get up and move! Work hard, have a good attitude, and don't let anyone say it's not possible. Having a good resume tape is the key to getting that first job, so make sure you are proud of what you send out. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear back right away--it has a lot to do with timing.