Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A LARC Success Story - Andrew Logsdon

LARC grad Andrew Logsdon is the newest weekend weather anchor/reporter at KMVT in Twin Falls, Idaho. The job is a dream job for Andrew because he specifically trained to land the job he wanted and reach his goal. Up and comers can learn a lot from Andrew. Here's his LARC interview.


LARC:
Why did you choose LARC to help you with your resume tape?

Andrew:
I chose LARC because of its success rate, as well as the credentials. As I went to station's web sites, I'd see a lot of people that I'd seen on the LARC web site. I figured this gave me the best chance to get my face onto a station's web site as well. Plus, all of Mr. Jackson's deep experience in the Lost Angeles news game helped give LARC and edge other resume tape clinics didn't have.


LARC:
What was the most beneficial experience?


Andrew:
The most beneficial experience was having Mr. Jackson helping you to create the best tape you could. I had been out of the news business for a couple years and was somewhat rusty with my behind-the-camera swagger. Mr. Jackson was very patient and worked with me to bring me back up to speed, as if I hadn't had a break in covering news.


LARC:
Describe the process of getting hired? What questions were you asked

during the interview?

Andrew:
The process of getting hired can be trying. Everyone told me that it can take a while and you have to be patient, diligent and not quit. Actually following that advice was tough for a while. It can get really frustrating when you've been sending out your tapes for a few months and haven't been called or emailed once. I got a few rejection letters.

When KMVT called, it had been the first contact I had made with a station. The news director told me my tape was impressive wanted me to interview with him right away. The actual interview itself was rather quick. He told me that from my tape, and my credentials, I had been exactly what he was looking for.

After that first interview, I started getting several emails and calls from other stations. Throughout this process, it showed me how particular the news industry is, how sometimes certain looks, certain backgrounds and certain experience might be sought by a station. I learned you have to keep trying, until someone that's looking for a you finds you.


LARC:
Describe your reaction, feelings, emotions when you were offered the

job?

Andrew:
When I got the interview, my stress went up a little bit. It almost seemed a bit surreal that I was finally this close to my dream of getting into the news business. I had a few days of difficult sleep between the interview and when I got the job offer. Once I got the offer, I slept better than I had in months.

I start my job in a few days, and I haven't been this excited in a long time. Without LARC and the tape Mr. Jackson helped me make, this opportunity wouldn't be happening.


LARC:
Now that you're in the club, what advice do you have for up and coming

journalists trying to break into broadcasting?

Andrew:
Some of the best advice I got was to diversify myself as much as possible. If you are able to do more things, you'll be considered for jobs over others who are one-dimensional. One of the things that helped me finally get my first job was enrolling in a meteorology program to earn a second degree. It allowed me to apply for more jobs than most people, and I am learning skills that far fewer people in the news industry have. The more you expand what you can do, the more opportunity you will have to do it.

LARC:
Thanks, Andrew. That's great advice. You're going to do great.