Thursday, June 21, 2007

A LARC Success Story - Evan Kelly


LARC graduate Evan Kelly was hired as main anchor at KYMA (Yuma, AZ) less than 2 months after finishing his LARC tape. While at LARC, Evan covered a deadly police shooting and the preparations for the Oscar Award ceremony in Hollywood.


LARC: Why did you choose LARC?

Evan: Living in Los Angeles it was a natural choice and in my search and talking to those who are working, they recommended LARC. Also, I watched Jay Jackson on my local news and knew he had a working knowledge of the biz.

LARC: You were hired as one of the main anchors for your very first job. How
did your LARC experience prepare you for that and is the training still
helping?

Evan: Jay knew from the moment I walked in the studio I would be destined for the desk. I had faith in that and listened to all of his direction. That and I feel the confidence he built helped as well.

LARC: Describe the interview? What questions did the ND ask, what did you
talk about?

Evan: The news director was nice and was mainly worried about me being able to sign a two year contract. Questions were geared towards my passion for the news business and how well I could be 100 per cent dedicated. It was a real easy interview.

LARC: You were offered the job right around the time your first born came
along. Talk about your feelings and emotions in that time of your life?

Evan: I knew being a new father that I needed to find a career that I would love, could be excited about everyday, and would have longevity in the long run. I was unsure about doing this huge move at that time, but whenever I start to question my decision I look at a picture of my baby and know it is well worth it.

LARC: Finally, what's the best advice you can give someone who is trying to
break into the business? In particular, what advice can you give them
about their resume tape?

Evan: Well, the tape is important, and if you are good it will show. You need to bring your A game and never think you are over the top. Everyone in this business want you to be you. But spend time on writing! It is so important to know how to tell the story. Just focus on the facts and showing people at home what is going on.

Thanks Evan