Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A LARC Success Story: Crystal Fisher


Crystal Fisher is a reporter/producer at WLVT in Bethlehem, PA. (dma #68) While at LARC, Crystal covered a drag queen beauty contest and a murder in South LA. Crystal is also a brilliant documentary producer/director. LARC has no doubt she will be very successful. Here's her LARC interview.

LARC: Why did you choose LARC to help you complete your resume tape?

Crystal: I decided to do the LARC program because I needed
to get a reel together that didn't seem inconsistent. In graduate school we did a lot of work, learned a lot about journalism and came out with an awesome documentary. But, as far as getting a job was concerned, I had no useable tape. My hair was different lengths, I had never sat at an anchor desk and I was terrible at walking on camera. So, after both of my friends, Perrine (Bakhshay) and Jackie (Reeves) did your program and got jobs, I thought you must have some secret strategy that is working. And you do, you make stars! (Inside joke)

LARC: What do you think was the most valuable aspect of the class?

Crystal: Hmmm... it's had to say that there is one aspect that is the most valuable. I think that if I had to choose... learning to tailor my questions to get a full SOT (sound-bite) and not wasting time asking questions I didn't need answers to was what I needed the most help with.

LARC: You were called for a job less than week after finishing your LARC tape. How exciting was that?

Crystal: Extremely exciting. And, it is a great job! I am a reporter/producer at PBS, WLVT, in Bethlehem, PA, which contrary to popular belief isn't that small of a town. We have more than 2.5 million viewers, and reach all the way from the Jersey border to Philly. It's truly wonderful.

LARC: What questions did the news director ask you during the interview?

Crystal: She primarily wanted to know if I had the drive and determination to get stories done, and done well, under tight deadlines.

LARC: When you were offered the job, describe your reaction, feelings, emotions, etc.?

Crystal: It's hard to say. I totally went blank. I had so many feelings I didn't really get to register any of them. I was elated, excited, overwhelmed and kind of scared. But, I think after i tall settled down a little I am mostly genuinely happy and relieved that now I am working. And I am working in a great place, close to home, with the most incredible boss out there!

LARC: Finally, what advice can you give up and coming reporters?

Crystal: Don't give up! Don't trust that the first opinion you hear is the right opinion. People may tell you to lose weight, dye your hair, talk faster/slower... maybe they are right. Listen to them, but don't be destroyed by their comments. Be happy and grateful that they gave you advice, an opinion/advice to offer. Take everything you can get. And be yourself. You don't get hired for being "newsreporterlady/man #1". You get hired for being you. If you aren't you, who is? Good luck!

LARC: Great advice. You're going to do great!